Lucid Dreamer

Wywiad Tuomasa dla EMP

Po angielsku przetłumaczony wywiad:

Source: http://www.emp.fi/bl...most-beautiful/

Original text by Timo Isoaho

Please note: I deliberately left out the introductory part. There is nothing new in it.

[...]

Everything seemed more than promising in spring 2014 when the main composer Tuomas Holopainen and and his long-time trustee Tero ”TeeCee” Kinnunen withdrew to the peace of countryside to work with the demo version of the band's eight studio album. But the euphoric balance in the Nightwish world didn't last for long...

- When I'm thinking the last summer, it comes to my mind both great and sad things. The three-month "playing camp" in Röskö near Kitee was an unbelievably great experience once again. Tuomas Holopainen starts and immeadiately continues:

- Except for Jukka's case... It felt really, really sad that eventually Jukka had to retire - at least at the moment - from the drummer's place for the sake of serious problems related to long-term insomnia.

Just as everything seemed extremely good - the band has found a new excelent singer, the new songs have shown their huge power and so on...

- That's right! I guess, it's such that the amount of turbulence related to Nightwish is a constant, Holopainen laughs.

But there was no bad luck without some good luck... Kai Hahto, who is familliar from Wintersun, Rotten Sound and Swallow The Sun among others, was found to replace Nevalainen on short notice - perhaps the best rock drummer in Finland.

- When it finally became obvious to us that Jukka will not be able to play on a new album nor on the next world tour, it was a really hard place in many ways. 'Kaitsu' was actually the only possible choice for replacing Jukka, because we already knew him. As we know, Nightwish is not a band whose line-up you can hire a skillful drummer just like that - the player must be a familiar with the band and known as a good fellow.

- Therefore, it was a bit too exciting to inquire Hahto's stance. Fortunately, he seemed to show interest immeadiately and the Nightwish post fitted to his schedule too. What would we have done, if Kai had declined the offer for some reason. Well, at least, we would have been very confused, since all the scheduling would probably have had to make again. And the release of the album would have had to move later. All this would have been extremely undesirable and the changes would be affected far-reachingly, since for example, the upcoming US tour was already booked at that moment.

The Röskö summer camp this time differed from the same period related to making the Imaginaerum album, for example, in the sense that this time you recorded the most of the final instrumental and vocal parts already on the camp.

- Indeed, we made of Imaginaerum a very polished band demo during the camp time. After that, we withdrew into the depths of the studio for the real recordings. This time, we decided to pass one demo phase in a way, since today's technology enables the recording on the camp inside the training place. The decision turned out to be very wonderful, because the relaxed feeling on the camp sticked to all of us and working was fast and effortless. It's obvious that in a real studio, the stress level of a musician is dissimilar - whenever the red 'rec' light turns on, you should succeed, whatever feeling you had on that day. The atmosphere in camp recordings was so great this time that Marco wrapped up all his parts in one and half a day... totally crazy!

And Kai Hahto? He managed to jump onboard just before the recordings.

- We rehearsed the songs together for six days and after that, Mr. drummer wrapped up his parts. The thing that speeded up learning the songs was certainly that Kaitsu wrote notes for every song for himself, so he didn't have to remember everything by heart - and there are lots of remembering in Nightwish songs indeed!

And Floor Jansen then? This was her first studio session with Nightwish.

- Well, Floor deserves all the possible praise. You can find sundry of interpretations in the vocal parts and she did her job overwhelmingly well from start to finish. I believe at least some listeners will be surprised at her performance on the album, despite the fact that everybody knows her skills.

There were heavy comments on the band's Facebook page when you revealed that British evolutionary biologist Richard Dawkins will guest on the album.

- Yes, undeniably we were surprised a bit that the Dawkin's presence gave rise to fire-and-brimstone comments for and against... That is, we just announced that Dawkins will have a part on the album, but we didn't say anything, what kind of a presence it is about. Nonetheless, it was enough for many fans to praise us to the highest heavens or doom to the lowest in the hell.

- Marco commented the situation quite fittingly: If you want to make "dangerous" of heavy rock music in 2015, you should invite a world-famous evolutionary biologist. Satan and such things feel nothing anymore, Holopainen sneers.

How on Earth did you get renowned Richard Dawkings convinced? He hardly ever does this sort of things.

- I don't know actually! We sent to Dawkins a polite letter - a hand-written one, nothing like a computer printout - and we asked if he would like to participate in the project. After some time he gave a positive response. I admire greatly him and respect his thoughts, so meeting him at the studio session was a really huge experience.

Is ”Endless Forms Most Beautiful” a concept album specifically based on evolutionary biology?

- No. The title of the album comes from renowned scientist Charles Darwin's thought: (”there is grandeur in this view of life, with its several powers, having been originally breathed into a few forms or into one; and that, whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been, and are being, evolved”). Dawkins guests, and the album cover describes the universe and the DNA helix among others. Despite all this, there are songs that cover other themes as well, so it's not a full-blooded thematic entity.

It is a big entity anyway, because ”Endless Forms Most Beautiful” is almost an 80-minute-long album.

- The ending song lasts moderately 24 minutes alone, but the topic of the song is huge too - then, you hear it! But yeah, we developed much material this time and, for example, we moved the song "Sagan" to the single "Élan" as a bonus track. It isn't any worse than other songs but something had to be left out...

- Choosing the single piece was once again extremely difficult. Of course, the record label wasn't listening to the option that we wouldn't release any single in advance, but that is the way I'd like to do... ”Endless Forms Most Beautiful” is a very diverse album and any single song can't describe the whole entity.

”Endless Forms Most Beautiful” is also more a "band album" compared to "Imaginaerum" for example.

- Yes, it is. The orchestral parts, which were recorded in London once again, have somewhat smaller role this time and there is more space for the overall breathing sound. As an example, let's say if we have heard eight rhythm guitars on Nightwish's releases before, there are only couple of them now.

The promoting world tour for ”Endless Forms Most Beautiful” will start at the renowned Hammerstein Ballroom in New York City in early April. What can you tell about the upcoming tour at this moment?

- Nightwish is known for very spectacular shows, but as American venues are somewhat smaller, the first full-size Nightwish show will be seen in Joensuu in early June. The content of the concerts on the upcoming tour is still under planning, but I guess we will make up some new nice things this time too, Holopainen thinks.

- Speaking of schedules: the "Endless Forms Most Beautiful" world tour will last until the end of autumn 2016 and the final number of the concerts will be roughly the same as that on the Imaginaerum tour.

How much have you missed into the front of the audience so far?

Well, I'll say it straight, not much yet! The really intensive working with the new album has taken all the attention recently, but the hunger for stages is slowly starting to grow again...

• Like 4

Większość wywiadu jest nam już doskonale znana (letni obóz, Jukka, Kai, Floor etc.), ale pojawiły się też nowe fakty. W skrócie:

- album ma około 80 minut

- albumowy kolos ma około 24 minuty

- utwór "Sagan" stał się bonusem, ponieważ nie mieścił się na krążku i z czegoś musiano zrezygnować

- Tuomas uważa, że singiel nie reprezentuje w pełni albumu i dodaje, że wytwórnia nie chciała słuchać o możliwości niewydania singla (sic!). TUOMAS, NAPRAWDĘ ROZWAŻAŁEŚ MOŻLIWOŚĆ NIEWYDANIA SINGLA!?

- orkiestra odgrywa mniejsze znaczenie niż na Imaginaerum, jest więcej miejsca dla członków zespołu

- zespół planuje jakieś atrakcje na nadchodzącą trasę, ale zaczną dopiero w Joensuu, ponieważ w Ameryce sale koncertowe są zbyt małe i nie ma tam za bardzo możliwości zabawy z pirotechniką itp

- Floor pokaże swoje możliwości interpretatorskie. Niektórzy mogą być zaskoczeni, mimo, że znają już Floor jako wokalistkę.

- taka ciekawostka: zespół wysłał ręcznie napisany list do Dawkinsa. Jakiś czas później przyszła odpowiedź pozytywna, a ogłoszenie współpracy na Facebook uwywołało burzę. Tuomas się żali, że tylko napisali, że profesor weźmie udział w projekcie, ale nie wyjaśnili w jaki sposób a fani bardzo mocno to przeżyli. ;)

To by było na tyle z ważniejszych/ciekawszych rzeczy.

• Like 4

Jak dla mnie mniejsza orkiestracja która ma być obecna na nowej pycie w porównaniu z ostatnimi płytami zespołu nie robi dla mnie tragedii ani nic podobnego,przeciwnie poza tym Nightwish uwielbiam za czasów początkowych ich kariery ;) Czyżby Profesor Dawkins wystąpił w innej roli niż narratorskiej na płycie? ; p

Arrdian - jak miło. :> A już myślałam, że będę musiała przeczytać ten wywiad w całości dzisiaj, co by mnie ciekawość nie zeżarła. Tymczasem mogę spokojnie iść spać. ♥

Czyżby Profesor Dawkins wystąpił w innej roli niż narratorskiej na płycie? ; p

Szczerze wątpię. Choć nie neguję - może profesor posiada jakiś ukryty talent wokalny... :)

Swoją drogą zaproszenie profesora pokazało jak wielką wagę przywiązuje Tuomas do swoich dzieł. Recytować mógł praktycznie każdy, kto ma do tego predyspozycje, np. Troy albo Sam Hardwick, znany chociażby z recytacji w Dead Boy's Poem czy Bless The Child. Mimo wszystko Holopainen postawił na profesora, autorytet, który również tematycznie pasuje do albumu.

W ten sposób materiał staje się jeszcze bardziej autentyczny i wyjątkowy. Podobna sytuacja miała miejsce podczas nagrywania "Sknerusa". Tuomas szukał kogoś, kto ma szkocki akcent, żeby jak najwierniej przedstawić osobę McKwacza.

Arrdian - jak miło. :> A już myślałam' date=' że będę musiała przeczytać ten wywiad w całości dzisiaj, co by mnie ciekawość nie zeżarła. Tymczasem mogę spokojnie iść spać. ♥ [/quote']

Staram się wydobywać najważniejsze informacje, bo nie każdemu chce się czytać długi wywiad (który notabene ma wiele powtórzeń z wcześniejszych) oraz nie każdy też zna język. :)

Myślę, że jest trochę przesady w tej całej otoczce tajemniczości i poufności dotyczącej nowego wydawnictwa NW. Tuomas jest pewny jego sukcesu, bo proponował niewydawanie singla, ale mimo wszystko biznes muzyczny rządzi się swoimi prawami i zapowiedź albumu być musi. To nie pierwszy raz, w którym Holopainen chciałby odgórnie ustalić w jaki sposób fani mają odbierać jego dzieło: minimum informacji, pierwszy odsłuch od początku do końca. Ma to być zarówno element zaskoczenia jak i maksymalnie otwarte pole do interpretacji. Jednak każdy z nas jest inny, każdy inaczej pojmuje muzykę i uważam, że fani powinni mieć wybór. Jeśli ktoś chce posłuchać singla przed resztą albumu, albo odsłuchać sample przed zakupem to myślę, że nie ma w tym nic złego. Z drugiej strony rozumiem o co chodzi Tuomasowi, bo to w końcu jego "dziecko", coś nad czym pracował długo i włożył całe swoje serce w przygotowania.

Nie wiem, którą opcję wybrałbym dla siebie, bo różnie to wygląda z moją cierpliwością. :D Singla na pewno przesłucham prędzej, a co do albumu to spróbuję powstrzymać się od sampli (które notabene i tak nie odzwierciedlą całego piękna krążka).

• Like 1

A wiadomo może czy Mastering nadal trwa czy może zosta ukończony? Mika dał ostatnio posta,że będzie zajęty masteringiem dwóch płyt ale w śród nich nie ma nic o Nightwish... : o

A wiadomo może czy Mastering nadal trwa czy może zosta ukończony? Mika dał ostatnio posta' date='że będzie zajęty masteringiem dwóch płyt ale w śród nich nie ma nic o Nightwish... : o [/quote']

Szczerze mówiąc to nie śledzę aż tak procesu przygotowywania albumu. Najważniejsze, że wiemy kiedy usłyszymy singiel i kiedy album. A terminy ostatecznego szlifu niech będą zmartwieniem pana Mika i Tuomasa. :)

Na angielskim forum znalazłem jeszcze to bardziej ciekawsza wersja wywiadu,głównie dlatego,że możemy sie dowiedzieć o tym,że Floor zaśpiewala operowo i jak nigdy dotąd ;)

Tuomas gave another interview to the German language website of EMP (the title indicates that is was already in December 2014). I am posting the full translation here instead of opening a new thread as this may be more beneficial for discussing. It is shorter than the Finnish interview but includes further comments from Tuomas on the background of EFMB:

Article on EFMB and Tuomas interview at emp.de - 12/2014 by Adam Weishaupt (http://www.emp.de/li...sort=topseller/)

If Tuomas Holopainen works on a new Nightish-album, his constant aim is to create something great, monumental and timeless; his own „Dark side of the moon“. The outstanding songwriter had achieved this with the preceding masterpiece “Imaginaerum” and he also succeeds with the immensely multifarious and once more innovative “Endless forms most beautiful”.

Teamwork

The first words after completing the comprehensive “Imaginaerum”-circle – which the Finns even implemented as a movie – were that the successor should be steelier, more direct and less orchestral. The maximum bombast and cinematic broadband sound has been achieved, and, hence, a challenge was needed. “We indeed achieved this vague objective”, the charismatic keyboarder ponders while putting the final touch to the epic. “’Endless forms most beautiful’ is special in that we worked more closely as a combo and everyone could contribute and do his own thing. This remembered me to the feeling in the period of creation of ‘Oceanborn’ and ‘Once’ which also the band and our engineer confirmed me. From day one, all six members were together in the rehearsal room which gives the songs this organic and natural feel.”

Creative passion

The chemistry within the group which grew to a sextet is amicable and fruitful. Chanteuse Floor Jansen, pipes and flute player Troy Donockley as well as drummer Kai Hahto who joined short dated form together with the core group around Tuomas Holopainen, bass player Marco Hietala and guitar player Emppu Vuorinen the new line-up. “The spirit of this new community is immensely energetic and when the creative ball got rolling, the whole process was much faster and easier than expected. Of course there were setbacks, such as Jukka quitting because of his insomnia but we were always ahead of our schedule. All of us benefitted from pulling together from the beginning and it is a big advantage if your vocalist is always present and as motivated as the others. A condition which strengthened the sense of unity which had been rare in the band camp before.

Up to the limits

Tuomas Holopainen is full of praise when talking about frontlady Floor Jansen which has moved to Finland meanwhile, enjoys the country and its people and takes up the big challenge to learn the Finnish language. “Floor had many terrific ideas concerning the vocal arrangements and really mastered any challenge she had to meet. She sang in very different ways as she has never done before and how nobody has heard her on her works with After Forever or ReVamp as yet. She has a heavenly voice and uses it virtuously. But of course, on the new CD the powerful, very energetic Floor singing with fervour and partially using her operatic soprano will also be heard.”

Natural diversity

The great detailed cover artwork of “Endless forms most beautiful” symbolises the lyric context of the disc. “It is a concept about the evolution of earth and its creatures, influenced by the works of such magnificent scientists and authors such as Charles Darwin, Richard Dawkins or Carl Sagan. I was particularly influenced by the beauty of nature, enclosed in its true core. That is why I asked our painter Toxic Angel that he should include as many animals, plants and species on the artwork as possible which he realised geniously”. The title itself is from the pen of evolutionary biologist Charles Darwin; they are the elementary words from his book “On the origin of species” of 1859. “Darwin goes back more than three and a half trillions years and establishes the theory that the diversity of the organisms existing today origins from a collective ancestor. Everything goes back to this one moment in time where only bacteria existed from which everything on earth ultimately developed. It makes us all equal and worthy. We as humans are not above it all, nor are we differing from other lifeforms but are part of the whole!”

The selfish gene

Since his childhood, nature and company of animals are important to the 38 year old Finn, and had he not made a music career, he would have become biologist. “I was able to get the band enthusiastic about the theory of evolution and to write about the beauty of all these thoughts”, Tuomas is happy, and even was so fascinated to win the Nairobi-born British Professor Richard Dawkins over being a speaker on “Endless forms most beautiful”. “I wrote him a handwritten letter and soon after got the response that he listened to some of our songs on YouTube, liked them and will be happy to work with us. To finally meet him was an overwhelming moment because he is an impressing personality with an immense intellect. We are honoured by his participation because only once before he has accepted a similar invitation – that was with the Simpsons!”

Myślę, że jest trochę przesady w tej całej otoczce tajemniczości i poufności dotyczącej nowego wydawnictwa NW. Tuomas jest pewny jego sukcesu, bo proponował niewydawanie singla, ale mimo wszystko biznes muzyczny rządzi się swoimi prawami i zapowiedź albumu być musi.

Atmosfera tajemniczości to stała domena Tuomasa i rozumiem jej uzasadnienie, zarówno komercyjne, jak i osobiste.

Artysta nie chce psuć samemu sobie (bo tu nie całkiem chodzi o fanów!) wielkiego momentu narodzin swojego dzieła, chce pieczołowicie przygotować poród i myślę, że ma prawo, o tyle, o ile, pozwala na to przemysł muzyczny, na dowolną manifestację swojej twórczości. Minimalizm pod względem ilości dostępnych danych jest, przyznaję, frustrujący i może nieco przesadny, ale Holopainen to perfekcjonista i marzy o doskonałej premierze każdego swojego muzycznego berbecia.

Nie wiem, czy chodzi tylko o przeświadczenie Tuomasa, że album będzie doskonały, w związku z czym singiel jest zbędny. Raczej jego niechęć wobec wydawania singla motywować należy jego szczerą nienawiścią do wybierania singli. To tak, jakby malarz miał sprzedawać tylko kawałek swojego płótna wybrany przez wyższą instancję, który nijak się ma do pełnego obrazu. Udostępnienie tak małego kawałka nie tylko ujawnia rąbek tajemnicy niezbędnej do prawidłowych narodzin dzieła, ale też wyszarpuje mały fragment dzieła, odcina go i ten kawałek zawsze będzie w jakimś sensie obcy, odizolowany. Ponadto, przecież, jak Tuo mówi, ten singiel nie ujawnia sedna albumu i przez to album może stracić, bo jeżeli komuś nie spodoba się singiel, to z większą niechęcią sięgnie po album, albo odłoży kupno.

To nie pierwszy raz, w którym Holopainen chciałby odgórnie ustalić w jaki sposób fani mają odbierać jego dzieło: minimum informacji, pierwszy odsłuch od początku do końca. Ma to być zarówno element zaskoczenia jak i maksymalnie otwarte pole do interpretacji. Jednak każdy z nas jest inny, każdy inaczej pojmuje muzykę i uważam, że fani powinni mieć wybór. Jeśli ktoś chce posłuchać singla przed resztą albumu, albo odsłuchać sample przed zakupem to myślę, że nie ma w tym nic złego. Z drugiej strony rozumiem o co chodzi Tuomasowi, bo to w końcu jego "dziecko", coś nad czym pracował długo i włożył całe swoje serce w przygotowania.

To chyba normalne, że artysta chce przekazać dzieło fanom, starając się możliwie jak najbardziej zbliżyć ich doznania do własnego, gdy dzieło tworzył. Oczywiście, każdy jest inny, ale po co dawać fanom wybór? Czy niedanie go sprawi, że album będzie się cieszył mniejszą popularnością? Nie sądzę, a może być własnie zupełnie na odwrót! Myślę, że Tuomas ma prawo do wyboru, w jaki chce swoje dzieło pokazać, bo przecież, mimo że zespół utrzymuje się z zainteresowania fanów, każdy artysta tworzy tak naprawdę dla siebie, własnego ukontentowania i ma prawo do własnego wyboru artystycznego onanizmu (przepraszam za wyrażenie! :D), nawet jeżeli rozkosz zapewniają mu fani, ich opinie, a najpełniej - sprzedaż płyt, biletów (pełne sale), gadżetów...

W końcu rozkosz nie płynie tylko z pochwał, ale też z własnej próżnej uciechy, jaką daje tworzenie, nie tylko dzieła, ale też momentu jego zaprezentowania (nie ze względu na reakcję odbiorcy, ale ze względu na perfekcjonistyczną myśl typowego pedanta, że wszystko zostało przygotowane i zaprezentowane tak, jak sobie to wyśnił).

• Like 3